Our commitment to responsible gaming
Lotto New Zealand exists to provide safe gambling that allows New Zealanders to play and win while contributing money back to the community. Responsible Play is all about being informed, having fun and knowing your limits.
Our games are intended to be fun and rewarding entertainment – and we want to keep it that way. For most people, playing lottery games is fun. However, we know that there is a small percentage of people who have gambling problems.
Here are some of the tools available to help you manage your online spend on Lotto products.
- Spending limits: Our online games have spending limits of $150 per week or $300 per month, set in conjunction with the Department of Internal Affairs and the Ministry of Health.
- Lower your spending limits: You can set your own personal spending limits. When you’re logged into your account just click on My Account, then Spending Limits.
- Enforced delay: To help prevent spontaneous decisions to increase your spending, once you have lowered your limits there’s a stand down period before any increase will be made active.
- Block yourself from games: You can block yourself from playing any of our games on MyLotto for a time period of your choice, preventing you from purchasing tickets online during that time. Once set this cannot be cancelled or adjusted. When you’re logged into your account just click on My Account, then Spending Limits. When you block yourself from a game we will automatically stop any subscription for that game.
- Exclusion from email reminders: When you block yourself from our games we automatically remove you from our email communications for that game, for the duration of your self-exclusion. You can also unsubscribe from our email reminders at any time.
- Maximum account balances: You cannot deposit funds to the credit of your account in excess of $999. If your account balance is higher than $999 due to prizes credited to your account you cannot purchase tickets until you have reduced the balance of your account to under $999.
- Blocking yourself from our retail stores: You can also exclude yourself from our retail stores. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Know the odds: The odds of all our games are available to help you make informed choices based on the facts and keep your chances of winning in perspective.
- Know the warning signs and where to get help: Our Have fun and play Responsibly brochure provides information on the warning signs of potential problem gambling and provides information on where to get help.
What to do if playing Lotto games is no longer fun
If you think you, or someone you know, may have a problem with gambling there is help available.
- Free and confidential support and counselling services are available 24-7 by calling the Gambling Helpline 0800 654 655 or send them an anonymous text on 8006. Gambling Helpline also offers four specialist services; Maori Gambling Helpline, Pasifika Gambling Helpline, Debt Gambling Helpline, and Youth Gambling Helpline. Find out more
- Test yourself - you can test your own gambling here. .
- Stay in control - here are some tips for staying in control
We hope playing Lotto games is a fun and enjoyable experience for you. If you require further information about Lotto New Zealand’s Responsible Gaming programme, please contact our helpdesk on 0800 695 6886.