Lower Hutt locals enjoy Lotto winning streak
Lady luck has been busy in Lower Hutt recently, with two lucky locals winning $500,000 each with Lotto First Division in the past two weeks.
The winners join a growing list of Wellingtonians who have won major prizes with Lotto recently.
Lower Hutt’s latest big winner is still pinching herself after winning $500,000 with Lotto First Division on Saturday night.
The winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, found out she had won a small fortune after checking her ticket in store.
“I was chatting to the guy behind the counter and he mentioned that someone who bought a ticket from their store had won a big prize.
“I didn’t even register that it could be me, so when he told me I’d won I was overjoyed and overwhelmed – I couldn’t stop shaking!”
And the winner wasn’t the only person who was overwhelmed with the good news.
“When I called my husband to tell him the news, he didn’t believe me, so I convinced him to come to the store to see for himself. He got the shock of his life when he arrived and found out I wasn’t joking,” the winner laughed.
Meanwhile, a Lower Hutt man is also celebrating after winning $500,000 with Lotto First Division in the live Lotto draw two weeks ago, on 27 January.
The winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, was checking his ticket at home when he realised that he was holding onto a very lucky ticket.
“I had three of the numbers line up on my ticket and I remember thinking it was pretty neat to see that.
“But the numbers just kept coming and the next thing I knew I had all six numbers on one line – I couldn’t believe my eyes, I just kept checking the ticket over and over again,” said the winner.
Once the reality of his good fortune sunk in the winner had a big decision to make – where to keep his winning ticket.
“I knew I wouldn’t be able to head down to my local Lotto shop for a couple of days, but I didn’t want to let the ticket out of my sight.
“In the end I took it with me everywhere – to the shops, the park and out to dinner. No matter where I was, it was always with me – I even turned down going for a swim because I knew I couldn’t take the ticket in the water,” the winner laughed.
The winning tickets were sold at Naenae Four Square and SuperValue Woburn in Lower Hutt.
These wins continue the recent run of winning for the wider Wellington area – with seven big wins in in the space of just a few months.
Recent Lotto wins in the Wellington area:
- In October, a Porirua local won $1 million with Lotto First Division
- In December, a Porirua local won $15.2 million with Powerball and split his winnings with a mate
- A ticket bought in Lower Hutt won $7.5 million with Powerball First Division in the very last Lotto draw of 2015
- In January, another Porirua local won $333,333 with Lotto First Division
- A Wainuiomata man became an instant millionaire in January after winning $1 million with Lotto First Division
- Another lucky Lower Hutt man won $500,000 with Lotto First Division in late-January
- A Lower Hutt woman scooped a $500,000 prize with Lotto First Division last weekend.